2017 Proposed Pool Barrier Amendments

Before requesting any support Please search the Forum First. You may find your desired answer. This will save your waiting time and will save our working hour. We may not answer the question which we have already answered. You should also read our Support Policy

Home Forums – Members Bills & Standards reviews 2017 Proposed Pool Barrier Amendments

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Ian Robson
    Participant

I am curious to know what information has been given to this Group or anyone specifically re pool barrier changes. It appears the Minister is doing drip-feed information to the media with no prior information or consultation with the compliance sector. Refer Pool article

Does anyone know what is going on? Why are we finding out about changes through the media rather than through Government sources?

Peter Jolly
    Participant

Do we have links to media releases?

Vincent O’Brien
    Participant

No Ian I don’t think anyone knows what going on especially the minister

Ian Robson
    Participant

The link is in my email with the words ‘refer pool article’. It appears the software of this forum does not seem to have the usual underline signal unless you float over it.

John Bordignon
    Participant

It is interesting reading the many comments by the public. Certainly most swayed on the negative.

John Bordignon
    Participant

And what will come out of this, is we become the punching bag for all. What will be will be.

Ian Robson
    Participant

Email to my GM. Hope this is correct:

As requested I have made enquiries (through the Victorian Municipal Building Surveyors Group) regarding the comments of the Minister to the media about new pool rules.

The Minister appears to be pre-releasing information which is not bedded down in legislation and is still open to debate and consultation.

In summary, as the current Building Regulations 2006 have not been sunsetted correctly (as happened 10 years ago) ‘Interim’ Regulations will come out in June. There will be no change from current rules in these.

A Regulatory Impact Statement for new Regulations will then be released which will contain proposed new pool controls – probably total fencing for all pools whenever constructed, as opposed to system presently in place. Presumably a State or local pool register will also be suggested. The details and ramifications will only be known when the RIS is released. Following the RIS process, the new regulations will be due out in November.

John Prendergast
    Keymaster

Hi Robbo

I am not sure if we will get the amendments as previously drafted or the Minister will bow to pressure and bring in more stringent Regs. there is a fair bt of work happening in the background on this. I am trying to make sure what we get is manageable.

JP

Philip Wilson
    Participant

Someone in my office showed me the article that Ian provided the link to. I left a message for the reporter but she did not get back to me. I wanted to know what she has heard that we haven’t heard yet.

Marcus Collard
    Participant

I presume these swimming pool barrier requirements will require an RIS?
    Is this work holding up the RIS for the 2018 Regulations? Or will it be a separate RIS?
    We need to ensure any requirements are financially sustainable for Councils.

Marcus
    Macedon

Ian Robson
    Participant

I am very interested in where the MAV is in this issue. I think we have to be careful not to come across as a quasi MAV or AIBS. Any resource issues will be globally felt by the Local Gvt sector and therefore the MAV (and Minister for Local Gvt) should be involved. I would prefer they were our mouthpiece.

John Prendergast
    Keymaster

Hi Marcus

The RIS will be out next week on Thursday. I am not hearing anything form MAV.

Prendy

Marcus Collard
    Participant

John,

Are you saying the swimming pool changes will be lumped in with the RIS for the new Regulations?

Marcus
    Macedon

Lawrence Slagter
    Participant

I hope any new regulations re: pool barriers/fencing make it clear that a building permit is required

Lawrie

Paul Brush
    Participant

The new schedule (only by a new number) still doesn’t exempt a pool fence or part of a pool fence. so a BP will be required.

Confused though that if the current pool barrier regulations for pools built before 1 May 2010 do not require modifying until 2020 or they must be modified and compliant by 1 May 2020?

The intention probably is to have pre 2010 pools compliant by 2020?

Also if you read 140 & 141 in isolation it seems as though all pools built must comply and be modified to the current pool barrier regulations even those built before 8 April 1991, maybe 140 (c) should qualify it by adding & after 8 April 1991 OR subject to sec 135.

Paul B

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.